Connecting Mac to Windows Network

Gary1979 17:07 22 Aug 2007

Hey guys,

I know very little about Mac's, but I am trying to help a friend out.

He has a Windows PC connected normally to NTL Broadband.

He also has an Apple Laptop which he wants to connect wirelessly to his network. He has therefore bought an Apple AirPort Express.

Before we go into the technical details, can you let me know if it's possible to setup a Wireless Network using the above?

As the "Main" PC is Windows, I wasn't sure if the Apple AirPort would connect to it.

Many Thanks.

Gary.

Kate B 17:21 22 Aug 2007

Do you mean he's bought one of these? click here It's not necessary unless he wants to use it either as a print server or to stream music, the Mac laptop will just connect to his network via its internal wireless receiver.

To connect the Mac to the rest of the network, ie to share documents between machines, he just needs to go into the finder and click Network, which will then offer him the options. It's really easy, much less painful than connecting a Windows machine to a network.

I've got a network that consists of a Macbook and a Vista PC sharing files via an NAS server including the iTunes content and library with both able to stream via iTunes and my Airport Express to the speakers in my sitting room. The Airport Express also acts as a print server so that both machines print wirelessly via the network.

the only caveat is that you can't set up an Airport Express with Vista: Apple hasn't produced a Vista version of the Airport Express Assistant. You'll have to do that with the Mac. But all you do is run the assistant and tell the Airport Express to be a client on the main network rather than creating a network of its own.

Gary1979 11:05 29 Aug 2007

Thanks for your help Kate. I passed the info onto my friend and he managed to get it sorted.

Thanks again.

Gaz

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?