Conflicting advice on purchase of XP machine

frustrated_user 11:05 07 Mar 2009

We are about to buy a new PC, and want to stick with XP

I've been advised that I can pay £60 extra to upgrade to Windows Vista Business which will then allow me to have XP Pro installed with the option to move to Vista at a later date.

Mesh told me that the PC would come with XP Pro pre-installed, but the option has now disappeared from their site. I contacted them and they said they do still do it but "Please note you must have an existing Windows XP Pro licence that you wish
to transfer to this new PC. Once you transfer your licence over to the new
PC, you will no longer be able to use it on the existing PC"

I don't have an XP Pro licence, so this is going to cost a lot more.

I also contacted Dell who have said that they can supply with XP Pro installed but that I don't already have to have a Pro licence...

Which of these do I believe?

bremner 11:28 07 Mar 2009

You believe both.

Mesh need you have an existing license, Dell don't.

Noodlestrudel 14:53 07 Mar 2009

:-)

Kind of makes sense, but can they be trusted?!

bremner 15:05 07 Mar 2009

Yes

interzone55 17:35 07 Mar 2009

Microsoft are gradually withdrawing XP Pro licences.

In the case of Mesh it seems that they've run out, so in order for them to install XP you'll need to prove to them that you have an existing, spare, licence.

In the case of Dell, as Microsoft's second biggest customer they'll have stacks of licences, probably enough to last until Windows 7 is released...

Forum Editor 17:37 07 Mar 2009

Thank you, I was about to type the same response.

AL47 18:27 07 Mar 2009

on the subject of licences
why is it with dells that you never have to enter a code, to validate an install?

frustrated_user 18:54 07 Mar 2009

Interesting - Mesh must have literally just run out, as when I enquired on 2nd March they didn't mention this, but when I contacted them again on the 6th, they did!

frustrated_user 18:58 07 Mar 2009

Btw, thanks for the replies folks!

interzone55 19:22 07 Mar 2009

It's the same for most large OEMs, the OS is locked to the motherboard during the initial setup at the factory...

Spark6 19:40 07 Mar 2009

This afternoon I ordered a new machine with XP Pro uninstalled, ie a disc, watch this space!

From Novatech by the way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?