clean up hard drive on kids machine

bumpkin 18:34 23 Sep 2010

Hi, everyone is it possible to wipe a hard drive of all applications but still maintain the O/S

ray

rdave13 18:58 23 Sep 2010

I've never come accross a program to do this unless the OS was on a different partition. You could use Revo uninstaller (free) and uninstall the apps one at a time. At least all the apps will be shown in one window!
click here

bumpkin 20:51 23 Sep 2010

Thanks rdave I will give that a try.

ray

Belatucadrus 23:51 23 Sep 2010

An alternative to Revo is Iobit uninstaller click here , while I have a slight preference for Revo in general use, the Iobit uninstaller can handle multiple program removals at a time.

lotvic 00:12 24 Sep 2010

Or you could just format and then reinstall O/S
(make a note of the product key first)

bumpkin 17:13 25 Sep 2010

thanks lotvic, this is my sons machine and I keep asking him for the restore disk but to no avail, I think he has lost it.
I have copied his HD onto another second HD so that he will not lose his stuff.
I want to try unplugging his drive so I can do no
harm and then trying to just put the OS only on the other disk. Then I should be able to set up the internet connections and download antivirus and firewall.
The OS is XP home.
I have a valid serial number but no disk, is it possible to just copy the OS from one disk to the other?

ray

lotvic 01:09 26 Sep 2010

"is it possible to just copy the OS from one disk to the other?"

No, it will not be bootable if you just ordinary copy.

Yes, if you clone the drive using a cloning program or make an image of it and then put the image onto the harddrive you want to use.

I use Acronis True Image (paid for) for this sort of thing but there are free programs that do just as well.

Hopefully someone will post with suggestions for free programs.

You can just ordinary copy personal data folders/files to another drive for saving (backup) to put back on after.

Ex plorer 11:18 26 Sep 2010

This any help click here

bumpkin 18:08 26 Sep 2010

Thanks to all, I am cloning it now, not a quick operation.
Ex plorer, that sound perfect but how do I get it to work?

Ray

bumpkin 16:55 27 Sep 2010

hello everyone and thanks for your help, i am going to close this and start a new thread with few more details as I did not explain very well.

ray

bumpkin 17:21 27 Sep 2010

Hi again everyone,
some details,
emachine E3010
340 celeron
2g memory.
My son asked me to look at this as it had become
so slow.
Not wishing to destroy his data or apps or progs.
i installed another HDD and cloned his original HDD
to the new one using Acronis.
I have emachines system recovery Cd which I ran.
This is supposed to go back to factory settings.
When I try to boot from either of the drives the system recovery message comes up on the screen before anything else.
I have disconnected the original HD and run the system recovery on the clone, it says everything removed apart from OS and factory settings, fine
one thinks but every time i try to boot from either drive system recovery starts up again,
I dont get as far as booting up.
anyone had this or any advice please.

ray

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?