Changing providers - MAC code changing Problems?

compumac 18:13 06 Jul 2007

My son who currently uses BT Openworld is moving house shortly and the premises he is moving into has/had an AOL broadband connection to which the subscription was cancelled in January of this year. We have requested that the present owner obtain the MAC code from AOL as he is leaving the country at the end of this month and we are trying to ensure that there are no problems for when the move takes place. Can anyone advise as to the pitfalls that one may encounter and offer any advice?

rawprawn 18:25 06 Jul 2007

When the present owner obtains the MAC Code, you have 30 days to implement it. If you don't nothing will happen and the account will remain with AOL.
In other words you must give your chosen supplier the MAC Code within 30 days so the change can be made.

compumac 18:30 06 Jul 2007

Thanks for prompt reply. The problem is that whereas the current owner is going abroad before the end of this month my son will perhaps not be moving until September. How does one overcome the problem of the 30 day changeover in the current situation?

rawprawn 18:45 06 Jul 2007

How about if the current owner would implement the MAC Code immediately before he leaves? Then your son can take the responsibility

compumac 19:33 06 Jul 2007

When you receive the code I understood that you communicated that to your provider who then activates(?) the line in your name. My son will not be taking over the ownership of the property until September (perhaps) and thereby the telephone line. What does the term implement the code actually imply?

p;3 19:41 06 Jul 2007

if they/you are with AOL you might find this thread of mine 'enlightening'::))click here

I am hoping to add to the thread in the not too distant future

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?