cd/dvd driver issues (red apple icon)

madmaxx 22:35 08 Jul 2009

Hi i am running xp on a dell 5150 my auto load has stoped working when loading a cd-rom, when i go into my computer the d drive has a red apple on it so unable to load a program, i have used thes disc before with no problem and they all work on another computer .I would be greatfull for any help.

Technotiger 22:51 08 Jul 2009

I think you will be able to use the CD ROM in Safe Mode. You could also try a System Restore in Safe mode, back to when it worked ok.

Also, sometimes Roxio and or Nero software, can cause this problem.

madmaxx 05:47 09 Jul 2009

Hi this has not resolved my issue, can't understand why it whants to read apple mac ? now.I have done a micosoft auto cd/dvd fix it tells me something is wrong ,but can not fix it.
madmaxx

Technotiger 08:27 09 Jul 2009

If you look in Control Panel you may see an icon for Apple updates, even though you are using XP.
You should un-install this using click here

During the un-install process you may be asked if you want to re-start your computer, DO NOT re-start at this point, let Revo continue. You will eventually get the option to Select All and to Delete - DO SO. You will be given the same options a second time, again DO SO, do not be picky, just accept all that Revo chooses.
After clicking on Finish, re-start your computer.

Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

madmaxx 19:34 09 Jul 2009

O.K have looked in control panel and there is no icon for apple updates.I have no apple ipod softwear only xplay i use and this has never given me a problem.Have you any more ideas.

Technotiger 19:44 09 Jul 2009

I would try running click here in its default settings - might be something corrupted in the registry.

madmaxx 20:56 09 Jul 2009

Have run c cleaner to no joy, looks like a factory restore was hoping not to go down that road !just hope it will let me reload the disc's.
Many thanks for the help.

madmaxx 20:56 09 Jul 2009

Have run c cleaner to no joy, looks like a factory restore was hoping not to go down that road !just hope it will let me reload the disc's.
Many thanks for the help.

Technotiger 21:22 09 Jul 2009

Before going down that route - go to the drive manufacturers site and download the latest drivers for it.

Rmoore1014 13:10 11 Oct 2009

Just found this - worked for me! See last entry:

click here

Stuartli 13:21 11 Oct 2009

The only drivers normally required for optical drives are the basic Windows CDROM drivers as functions, such as burning with a rewriter, are controlled by software programs such as Nero.

You may be thinking of firmware, but that could be the path to a drive rendered useless if it goes wrong.

I would suggest the initial step would be to Uninstall the drive in Device Manager, Reboot and allow Windows to Find New Hardware and reinstall the basic CDROM drivers.

Hopefully this will clear the Mac issue.

The AutoPlay feature can be assessed (normally) via My Computer>highlight Optical Drive>Properties>AutoPlay tab if it doesn't come up automatically after inserting a disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?