can't connect Mac OSX to Netgear wireless router

Adam Patrick 16:17 23 Jul 2010

Hi

We have a wireless netgear router connected to a laptop, but cannot get a Mac OSX to connect to it.

The airport icon on the MAc is showing and all 5 bars are showing in black, but when we try a web page it says "cannot get connection to internet"

We have clicked on airport icon and chosen the network, password also accepted but still no luck.

Any help would be appreciated

mgmcc 20:30 23 Jul 2010

My only experience of connecting a Mac wirelessly is with a USB dongle in a MacMini, but are you using a method of encryption that is compatible with both the router and the Mac's wireless adapter?

retep888™ 22:24 24 Jul 2010

When you click Network under Internet & Wireless in System Preferences, do you actually see your network inside the Network Name: box?

The status of the Airport is Connected with a green dot on the lefthand side panel?

You may have to try connecting to internet using an ethernet cable if possible with a different browser i.e. Firefox if Safari does not function.

Adam Patrick 17:12 03 Aug 2010

Hi

Yes we see the network name in the list.

Where is the green dot supposed to be that you mentioned?

The network we are using is from my PC but it was used when we had a Belkin router. We now have a Netgear router becuase we moved house and as we are now in different part of country we come under Virgin National not Virgin Media so the router is different.

Do we need to set up a new network or should the old one be ok ?

winslet78 07:22 11 Aug 2010

FLV to Video Converter Pro 2 can convert flv or f4v files to mp4, and you can play them on your ipad. the powerful software you can try it: click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?