Can't boot up my XP machine - help !

Paul33 14:26 13 Feb 2010

I opened up my XP machine to install a simple USB2 card. No problems, slipped in easy, went to power up and the first thing I hear is two distinct beeps followed by a warning stating "FLOPPY DISKETTE SEEK FAILURE - F1 to proceed, F2 to enter setup".

If I hit F1 then it enters the Windows loading screen but hangs there for ever. I have tried booting in SAFE mode and I get most the way through until it stops with a blue screen stating ......

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of
0x0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
The system has been shut down

I don't have a floppy disk drive but I did enter the BIOS and removed the option to search for one ..... that got rid of the initial Floppy Diskette Seek error but it still won't boot up and you get the same errors.

I did notice that the BIOS boot sequence had changed so that (1) was a USB device with the Hard Drive at (2) so I changed that so that the HD was (1) and I disabled the USB device option by hitting the space bar. Again, no change and still won't boot up.

I have removed the USB2 card and it has no affect - same problem exists. I have checked all obvious cables and nothing seems loose.

Any ideas ?

boysie 15:47 13 Feb 2010

Try entering the bios again and set everything to default! and try again, If everything was ok before you installed the usb card then something is amiss! double check cables on back of floppy disk ! silly question but its easy sometimes to put it back the wrong way!also take out the video card and re-install it, I've had this in the past and going through my ideas has solved problems.HH

johndrew 15:49 13 Feb 2010

What OS are you running?

Was the PC completely disconnected from the mains?

Were you earthed to the chassis before you started work?

What else dare you likely to have moved?

Did you `save` the changes you made in the BIOS?

Are you still getting `beeps` on boot up? If so what are they and what BIOS are you running?

How far into the boot are you getting?

Check the connections to your HDDs and other components again. Earth yourself to the chassis first and allow time for all capacitors to discharge fully - give it 10 minutes or so after powering down. Ensure there are no loose wires/connectors around the motherboard.

If the above fails you may need to carry out a Repair.

Paul33 16:01 13 Feb 2010

What OS are you running >>> XP Pro

Was the PC completely disconnected from the mains? >>> Yes completely unplugged

Were you earthed to the chassis before you started work? >>> Not sure what that means but I did nothing intentionally to "earth" myself !

What else dare you likely to have moved? >>> Never touched anything else - just slipped the card in and powered up.

Did you `save` the changes you made in the BIOS? >>> Yes, saved and checked

Are you still getting `beeps` on boot up? If so what are they and what BIOS are you running? >>> Yes - still beeps - don't know what BIOS or how to determine that.

How far into the boot are you getting? >>> I get the initial XP screen with the grey bar flashing across the middle and before any user accounts come up - it just never goes further and I hear no HD activity either.

Check the connections to your HDDs and other components again. Earth yourself to the chassis first and allow time for all capacitors to discharge fully - give it 10 minutes or so after powering down. Ensure there are no loose wires/connectors around the motherboard. >>> I have noticed that only one HD is showing as active in the BIOS. I have a second internal SATA drive for storage and that is showing as "unavailable" or similar (can't remember phrase) whereas before I'm sure it was listed as the (2) in the boot up sequence.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:16 13 Feb 2010

f you do not have a floppy drive then reboot

press F2 to enter setup (which is the BIOS) - trawl through the menus to find and disable disable Floppy seek - save and exit (F10)

See if it reboots ok.

Paul33 17:28 13 Feb 2010

I had done all that - as mentioned above - but I've resolved it in the end by removing the motherboard battery and reconnecting in order to reset the BIOS. It boots fine now !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017