Cannot send emails from ipad2 mail when abroad

cas5090 15:38 29 Aug 2014

Hi, I am in Lanzarote for a few months. I can receive my emails via the ipad2 mail button but when I try to send them I get a message saying:

Unable to send email. The email address "my correct talktalk address" was rejected by the server"

This did not happen last time. I was here, can anyone help?

I am able to send emails via safari/google/talktalk website but from an ipad this does not give me all the functions eg sending photos.

Sometimes when I try and log in via safari etc it does not allow me to so it is very hit and miss.

I am not very ipad savvy and would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

cas5090 16:13 29 Aug 2014

Just for info, I have tried to do this both using a uk IP address and using the local one, I get the same result - the error message.

Secret-Squirrel 17:47 29 Aug 2014

" I am in Lanzarote for a few months. ..............but when I try to send them I get a message saying:"

It sounds like your TalkTalk SMTP settings need tweaking to enable you to send using a non-TalkTalk connection. Click here and scroll down to step #9 and follow the instructions up until #12.

cas5090 19:14 29 Aug 2014

Thanks for the reply secret squirrel. I followed those instructions but still got the same error message unfortunately :(

Is here anything else I can try? (Other than using a different email address which really is a last resort)

Thanks again

Secret-Squirrel 20:37 29 Aug 2014

If you could send emails whilst in the UK using your TalkTalk broadband connection but can't now that you're in Lanzarote, then it must be your SMTP settings. Check that you're using smtp.talktalk.net and that the username and password are entered correctly for that server.

If all your settings are correct then I can't think of anything else to suggest at the moment.

Woolwell 21:02 29 Aug 2014

Regrettably some wifi connections overseas don't permit the standard smtp settings and sending emails can be difficult unless you use a local setting. Webmail usually works well.

With gmail you can add attachments including photos on an iPad however I'm not familiar with the TalkTalk interface.

cas5090 22:05 29 Aug 2014

Thanks again secret squirrel, looks like I am going to have to use a different email address.

Thanks Woolwell I will look at gmail

Secret-Squirrel 10:59 30 Aug 2014

Sorry to hear that it hasn't worked Cas. Those settings are specifically for users of mobile devices (such as phones and tablets) who need to send mail from any location in the world.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?