Cannot Print contacts in El Capitan

davvyp 16:07 05 Aug 2017

I have just upgraded to El Capitan but now find I cannot print my lists of contacts or address labels. The print button is grayed out and, what is more, the only way to exit contacts is to use Esc. I am using OS 10.11.6. I previously used Mavericks and that was fine, but El Capitan is, at the moment, a disappointment. Help please.

Pine Man 16:51 05 Aug 2017

You don't say what your system is but there is clearly something wrong with the update as it stands.

If your computer is capable of updating from Mavericks to El Capitan then it should also be capable of updating to Sierra, the latest version. Why not try that and see if it cures the problem. If not, then revert to Mavericks and if that works try all over again.

Pine Man 10:10 06 Aug 2017

Further research reveals that there were issues with El Capitan and Contacts in MacBooks so if that's what you've got then even more reasons to try updating to Sierra.

davvyp 13:52 06 Aug 2017

Thanks Pine Man for your help. You are right, it does help if I gave as much info as possible. I am running an early 2009 iMac 20 inch with 1 TB HD, a Core 2 Duo (2.66 processor) and 8GB of DDR3 Ram. Graphics by NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB. I am hoping to replace my unit sometime next year when the demands on my wallet have eased somewhat. However since I posted this problem I have, sort of, solved the problem. The main issue was the Doc getting in the way. By making it disappear it exposed the print button in the bottom right of the screen. This enabled me to print my labels et al. By holding the cursor down at the bottom I was able to make the Doc re-appear. This simple solution may work for others, I hope so. In the mean time thank you for getting back to me so promptly.

Pine Man 15:02 06 Aug 2017

Good news:-)

Sierra won't run on your iMac so I should either roll back to mavericks or continue with your fix until you get a replacement.

Good luck.

davvyp 09:22 07 Aug 2017

Thanks again. I am going to stick with what I have until I can replace my iMac. However thanks for your input, much appreciated.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

Best Photo Editing Apps for iPad

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Comparatif : quelle est la meilleure batterie externe 2017 ?