Best ext HD for 27" iMac mid '11

Pebblett 18:30 06 Mar 2017

Hi, what would you recommend for our 27" mid-'11 iMac, which is now upgraded to Sierra? Int HD almost full, Time Capsule is 3TB but I want another min 4TB as a back-up for all our 18,000+ photos esp.. I don't know all the questions but I've gathered a few here! * Is linked by USB or Thunderbolt best - T Capsule is wifi & our bband isn't great * Min 4TB as I don't want to run out of space * The quieter the better! As it'll be beside us in our kitchen * Can I save photos auto to a HD rather than on the internal HD? And I'm quite sure there are queries I don't know to ask......so please ask!! Cheers Ann

mgmcc 13:44 09 Mar 2017

Is linked by USB or Thunderbolt best

I have a Buffalo 1TB external drive which is Thunderbolt/USB3 and I'm not convinced that the Thunderbolt connection is any faster than USB 3.0. However, if your iMac is only USB 2.0 then Thunderbolt will be faster.

The quieter the better! As it'll be beside us in our kitchen

External drives are not noisy, although a solid state drive will be silent compared to one with a spinning hard drive.

Can I save photos auto to a HD rather than on the internal HD?

I don't know the answer to that as I don't save photos to a Mac, mine are all in Dropbox. However, there shouldn't be any reason why you can't move them if you want to an external drive.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?