Beeping machine!!

ned3110 10:32 05 Apr 2008

Hi all

I recently had a virus on my PC which I have tried to remove. I used Spybot search and destroy and altnough it says it has removed it my PC still isnt quite right. When ever I get an email (Googlemail with Thunderbird) the tower gives a warning beep. Also when I try to scan anything it freezes my machine.

Any ideas why, and how to sort it out?

Cheers

rawprawn 10:45 05 Apr 2008

Spybot will not remove a virus, you need to scan with your AV, if you have a problem scanning, make sure you are up to date and scan in Safe Mode

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:46 05 Apr 2008

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Suggest you also try a repair
Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

ned3110 11:55 05 Apr 2008

Hi

Thanks for your responses.

Rawprawn, I did try to scan my PC with my AV, I use Avast, and did it in safe mode but it slowed to a crawl and was taking hours. Is this normal?

Ditch999 17:16 05 Apr 2008

Take a look at your fans to make sure they are running and are not clogged up. Try running the anti virus scan with the side of the case off. If it goes quicker then it could well be a heat issue. How old is the PC and was it ever cleaned up?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?