APPLE TV Questions

tabman 19:45 02 Apr 2015

Hi everyone, Does anyone here own an Apple TV? My friend is considering buying one but I have a couple of concerns though that I haven’t been able to fully answer through research on the net. Hopefully someone here can give me a few pointers. She will be using this in place of, not alongside, a terrestrial TV service (viewing probably 6+ hours Monday-Friday and 12+ Saturday / Sunday. I’m not really looking for advice on whether Apple TV is better or worse than Roku (or similar devices), I’m looking for advice on the legal & technical side.

She believes that by using the ATV, she will no longer need a TV licence. Is that correct? She is planning on blanking off the TV aerial connector on the wall as a way of proving that she will not be watching live broadcasts but surely she still could through services like iPlayer?

She would be using her iPhone as a hotspot to provide the connectivity for the ATV. Is this realistic? Are there truly uncapped or very large data plans for mobiles which are not unrealistically expensive?

Pine Man 12:40 03 Apr 2015

As a general rule, if you’re watching a programme on a computer or other device at the same time as it’s being shown on TV, then the programme is “live” so you need a TV licence.

If you record "live" TV and watch it later you need a TV licence

If you are watching 'catch up' TV you don't need a TV licence.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?