Apple software update is disabling iPhones...

Seth Haniel 12:24 29 Sep 2007

.... that have been unlocked by owners who wanted to choose which mobile network to use.
Earlier this week Apple said a planned update would leave the device "permanently inoperable".

Thousands of iPhone owners hacked their expensive gadget in order to unlock it for use with other mobile carriers and to run a host of unsupported programs.

There are also reports of the update causing issues with unaltered iPhones.

lisa02 12:35 29 Sep 2007

Might be shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

but a quick look on the news section of PCA and

"As of mid-afternoon Thursday, initial reports are that the update causes problems for unlocked iPhones, but it does not leave them completely unusable."

is in the second paragraph. click here

They are warning that the hacked phones may become inoperable but it doesn't seem the case.

Forum Editor 12:36 29 Sep 2007

but obviously there are people who didn't believe it.

The last thing Apple wants is a bucketful of adverse publicity over this, but it looks as if that's exactly what it will get. Personally I can't understand the fuss that surrounds the iPhone, it looks nice, as many Apple products do, but otherwise it's nothing particularly special.

Seth Haniel 12:44 29 Sep 2007

click here

wether it likes it or not...
think I can do without one still ;)

interzone55 16:02 29 Sep 2007

I have to say that I'm not surprised about this, it's in the contract that US purchasers agreed to when they activated the phone, that the phone must stay tied to AT&T for two years.

It's also part of the lovely Digital Millennium Copyright Act that companies can act against users who try to break encryption or reverse engineer software.

I'd like to see the outcry that ensued if this happens when the phone is available in the UK, as people here are used to cracking phones to use them alternative networks.

powerless 17:28 29 Sep 2007

It's simple really...

Don't upgrade to 1.1.1 [you don't have to] and keep the unlocked iPhone and its applications running smoothly.

Wait for the unlockers to crack 1.1.1 and then upgrade. Might take them a few weeks, months or even days, maybe never?

Steve Jobs at the UK iPhone launch said something along the lines of "it's a cat and mouse game"...

interzone55 18:12 29 Sep 2007

It's even more simple than that...

Don't buy an iPhone - why pay for a phone that ties you into a contract for 18 months (UK) or 2 years (US). Any phone that ties you into such a restrictive contract should be free.

Me, I'm sticking to my nice Nokia 6080, does everything I need, doesn't have a massive touch screen that will easily scratch, isn't tied to a stupid contract, and won't re-lock itself if I choose to switch network

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?