Apple Mac anyone?

Graham ® 21:44 21 Dec 2005

A friend has splashed out on an Apple Mac computer. I know nowt about Mac, so I went for a look. He knows nowt about computers, but I assume someone has set it up for him (didn't like to ask!), as it works, and is on broadband

First impressions - it seemed slow. When online the window didn't fill the screen (how do you go to full screen?) and the fonts were tiny.

He goes to websites by typing into google (where are Favorites?).

ade.h 21:57 21 Dec 2005

If he's new to computing, I don't suppose he'd know what favourites are or how to create them. From what I see of Macs - quite a lot of my clients use G5s for their work - they seem pretty easy to use and at least as clever any Windows OS.

Skills 22:11 21 Dec 2005

Theres quite a few mac users over on these forums click here

mgmcc 09:03 22 Dec 2005

<<< it seemed slow. >>>

It shouldn't seem slow. I am using a "MacMini" with a 1.25GHz processor, only 256MB of RAM and the latest Mac OS X 10.4.3, which I don't find noticeably slower than my XP Pc with an Athlon processor and 768MB of RAM.

<<< When online the window didn't fill the screen (how do you go to full screen?) >>>

The "green" button works slightly differently from the Windows "Normal/Maximise" button. The Mac button toggles between two different sizes of Window, but neither *needs* to be full screen. Drag the window into the top left of the screen, then drag its bottom right corner to the screen's bottom right. It should then retain that size as one of the "green" button selections.

<<< He goes to websites by typing into google (where are Favorites?). >>>

In "Safari", they are Bookmarks. Internet Explorer's Favorites in a Windows PC can be exported as an HTML file and then imported into Safari, or the Mac version of Internet Explorer. I prefer to use Firefox in the Mac as well.

Graham ® 09:08 22 Dec 2005

Thanks. Is the green button on the desktop or the keyboard?

I couldn't see 'Bookmarks', should it be in the browser window?

mgmcc 09:29 22 Dec 2005

<<< Is the green button on the desktop or the keyboard? >>>

The top left corner of every Mac "window" has three coloured buttons:

Red - close window

Orange - minimize to the "dock"

Green - toggle window size

<<< I couldn't see 'Bookmarks', should it be in the browser window? >>>

It is in the menu bar along the cery top of the screen.

Graham ® 09:34 22 Dec 2005

Thanks, I'll pop round and sort him out.

wobbly76 10:04 22 Dec 2005

What you saw on the Mac were differences, not problems, I've been using an iMac G5 for about three years, along with a Win. XP Pro.
You'll find in some respects the Mac OS is much better than XP.

w76

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?