Apple ipad

Estuary 17:18 08 Sep 2010

My wife has just decided that the Apple iPad would be ideal for her to take with her on trips to see our children/grandchildren so that she can keep in touch and have loads of family pictures to show all . I think that the screen size is what has finally convinced her .
My concerns are, how it will integrate with our existing windows 7 network at home ?
1) To access our home network which is WPA2 with a 50+ character password will I be able to copy and paste the password via a word doc from my PC or must it be typed? Or indeed any word doc from pc to iPad.
2)Any advice would be appreciated..Also is there anything else I should be aware of?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:40 08 Sep 2010

You'll have to type it, you'll have trouble opening PC docs on the Ipad until you download some apps.

rawprawn 17:41 08 Sep 2010

I can't answer all your questions, but my son in law has an IPad which connects flawlessly to my BT Home hub (WPA2)with no problems at all. I have to say I think you 50+ password is a bit OTT. As to whether you can copy and paste it I'm afraid I don't know.
My son in law is away from home in London working a great deal and finds his IPad ideal.

Estuary 17:50 08 Sep 2010

rawprawn
What length of WPA2 password would you suggest?
I also have the Bt home hub ,but honestly cant remember why my password is so long.I think i got advice from somewhere on the net!

john bunyan 18:01 08 Sep 2010

My grand daughter has a iPod Touch, which seems to me to be a small screen version of the iPad. The lack of an OS is such that I would prefer a Notepad for the price. Nevertheless, as said above You need to know the WAP code for any network you intend to use.I only have a 21 letter code, of a very obscure organisation I once belonged to, including words and numbers.I think to reset your password you will have to reset the Modem / Router .

rawprawn 18:34 08 Sep 2010

Use the "Wireless Key" you will find it on the back of your BT Hub

Estuary 15:47 12 Sep 2010

An update

Just to say we bought an ipad this weekend.
Connected to our home network within minutes ,downloaded our contacts and favourites also set up a picture library.
Downloaded “Pages” which cost £5.99 also a free books app which gives access to over 2000 titles.
Our overall impression at the moment is very good. Being our first experience of an Apple product we are both delighted and amazed at the all features and very pleased we made the decision.

c4rm0 17:14 12 Sep 2010

jailbreak it and it will be even better :)

rawprawn 08:41 13 Sep 2010

I'm sure you made the right descion and I am glad that you are pleased with it.
Did you sort out your password OK?

Estuary 16:24 13 Sep 2010

rawprawn

Yes all sorted thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?