Apple iOS 8 - have you downloaded it yet?

Forum Editor 14:42 18 Sep 2014
Answered

If you have, what do you think?

Dolphin2000 15:18 18 Sep 2014

No, will test today!

Forum Editor 22:33 18 Sep 2014

Jock1e

Why this talk of Messenger? If you are updating your iPhone just do what ßeta said - go to Settings > General > Software Update and you'll be offered the iOS 8 download.

Do the same thing if you'reusing an iPad, but in both cases make sure your device is one of those listed by ßeta.

Woolwell 10:32 19 Sep 2014

I have downloaded it and installed it on my iPhone 5 and iPad2. The installation on the iPhone was straightforward and relatively quick. The iPad2 installation took longer but completed without a problem however with iOS8 it is slower opening apps and appears sluggish. Perhaps a step too far for the iPad2.

Having finished the updates I had a very large number of app updates to do. Some like Pages and Numbers took time.

I have started a thread in Tech Helproom which may have been better here or deleted having found this thread.

For Jock1e - Messenger is not part of iOS8. Both Facebook and Messenger apps updated after the iOS8 install.

Woolwell 12:45 19 Sep 2014

Facebook works. All that has happened is that Facebook have moved messaging to the separate Messenger app. If you click on Messages in the Facebook app then Messenger opens. It has an advantage in that if all you want to do is send or receive a message then you do not have to use the rest of Facebook. It is not a problem as such just a different way of doing it.

bremner 12:17 21 Sep 2014

As Woolwell has mentioned I would reiterate that you should very seriously consider the consequences of upgrading an iPad 2 to iOS8.

Mine has become frustratingly slow and I have downgraded back to iOS7.

bremner 12:19 21 Sep 2014

Should have added that iOS8 on my iPhone 5S is absolutely fine.

rdave13 20:31 21 Sep 2014

A friends iPhone 5 has been messed up with this update, running slow and will shut off randomly.

Woolwell 20:52 21 Sep 2014

My iPhone 5 runs fine with iOS8.

rdave13 21:02 21 Sep 2014

My better half is reporting a lot of complaints from her friends/acquaintances on Facebook that they are having problems with 5, after updating, slow opening apps and not connecting to internet.

Could it be possibly feasible that Apple have dropped a clanger to compare with Microsoft this time?

No... it couldn't happen surely? Not with the élite.

rdave13 21:11 21 Sep 2014

Now here is a thought. If you are within your contract with a mobile supplier and an update to the phone knackers it or reduces its capabilities, are they liable to replace the phone?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?