Apple CarePack. Get it or not?

ajm 23:41 05 Feb 2006

Someone has asked for my advise on the Apple Carepack. I personally have a PowerBook G5 bought about 18 months ago and did not purchase it. The persons buying are of school age and will be using it for day to day work like word processing, email, photo management, itunes, etc.

They wish to purchase a G5 Imac and a 15" PowerBook and are considering Apple CarePack. Has anyone has any experience of it and whether it worth getting it. The cost is approx £140 for the IMAC and £380 for the Powerbook for 3 years.

bfoc 08:51 06 Feb 2006

On an experience of it but when I was ordering an iBook for my daughter, three weeks ago, I was told by the Apple sales person that they had it on special offer and it became effectively free, well about £20, once all the discounts were included.

I took the view that paying such a small amount for 3 years cover and phone support was probably well worth it.

I do suggest ringing and seeing what the best education price is with and without Apple Care to check what the actual (as opposed to advertised) price is, which may help in the decision making.

De Marcus™ 12:30 06 Feb 2006

Some information (may not be applicable to UK applecare) click here

Johnnie_M 18:28 06 Feb 2006

Having worked for a large electrical retailer, my experience of Applecare is absolutely awful. The call centre when I was connected consistently asked "sorry, I do not understand you." The call centre I presume is in India. The product care is probably worth it for the actual parts etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone