Another Excel macro needed...

Chris the Ancient 12:14 01 Nov 2003

Hopefully, caught (will catch) VoG's eye again!

Over this weekend (wife permitting), I hope to complete another spreadsheet in a suite I'm developing. What I want to do with this one (apart from the other twiddlies that people have helped me with) is to do a bit of calculating in the background.

As the workbook stands at the moment, a batch of data is collected and assembled from different worksheets using straightforward formulas. This data then has to be sorted, manipulated, extracted, summarised and generally messed about with. This makes for a nice (not) screen with loads of figures and stuff flying around.

What I would like to do is open just a plain sheet with a nice user-friendly caption saying something like "Please Wait - calulating..." while all this manipulation is going on somewhere else.

So, is it possible to have a macros display one page while another page is calculating?

Chris

VoG II 12:20 01 Nov 2003

Yes.

Select your "nice" sheet then use

Application.ScreenUpdating = False

Then get on with your calculations. When done use

Application.ScreenUpdating = True

To display a message use

Application.StatusBar = "Calculating, please wait..."

and when done

Application.StatusBar = False

Hope this is what you meant!

Chris the Ancient 12:31 01 Nov 2003

How do you do it?

Don't you ever take time away from the screen?

But, that's another nice little routine that I've not seen before. I look forward to playing with it!... Later - because you were too quick for me. Again.

It will have to be later when I have stopped tearing my hair out (my wife's just asked, "what hair?") over the bit I'm stuck on at the moment. It's not insurmountable, just a bit long-winded and a pain in the proverbial.

Sir, you're a gentleman.

Megathanks

Chris

VoG II 12:31 01 Nov 2003

If you want a status bar progress indicator click here and scroll down to "click here"

VoG II 12:32 01 Nov 2003

Scroll down to Control the LED Display in the StatusBar

Chris the Ancient 12:37 01 Nov 2003

I'll tell you what. You come down here to the sunny south of England, do all my work and I'll go on holiday.

The pay I give's not too brilliant though!

;o))

Chris

(ps - even more thanks's)

Chris the Ancient 19:28 01 Nov 2003

Got my other bits and pieces sorted.

Some interesting side-effects to the screen updating false command... My calculations went very quickly in comparison to when the screen updating was true! I shall remember that.

I used the status bar command - it was just right for the speed of my operations.

I had a go with those links that VoG also provided... Wow, were they whizzy! But my application is so much faster, they weren't needed.

As always, many thanks to VoG for helping me out.

Now to do the 'final packaging'.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone