Access to networked machine requires guest login

thejazzpotato 19:29 08 Apr 2006

I have 3 XP pro destops, which are all networked with a linksys wireless router. One of the machines is wired, the other 2 wireless. I can see all computers over the network, however when trying to access the wired pc from a wireless terminal I am asked to log in as guest. No matter what password I try to use access is still denied. Strange thing is, from my wired pc I can gain access to all machines over the network. I have checked all windows and other installed firewall settings and this still happens when they are all disabled. Please help.

ade.h 19:51 08 Apr 2006

In a Pro-only network environment, it may help if one of each PC's accounts is common in type, name and password.

I say "may help" because my own Pro-based network does not have an account that is common to all clients, and yet it works just fine. My business desktop has two named user accounts - both passworded and part of the admin group - while my laptop has only the top-level Administrator account, also passworded. The group is the only common factor between them.

mgmcc 08:17 09 Apr 2006

Have you actually set any folders as "Shared" in the wired PC? By default, File & Printer Sharing is disabled in XP and, if you try to access a PC in which it hasn't been enabled, you will get a prompt for a "non-existent" password.

Setting a folder as "Shared" will, if necessary, prompt you to enable File & Printer Sharing in the PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?