2017 21.5 iMac (mid range) + graphics card

JungleCat18 17:41 01 Oct 2017

Seriously looking at the £1249 21.5" iMac, need a new one ASAP for uni work. (Borrowed a very slow work iMac with OS 10.8 meanwhile, won't run Adobe Connect). Can the Radeon Pro 555 graphics card in the Mac I'm considering be replaced if it fails? I've had 2 macs fail with what the tech shop tells me are graphics card failures (and that they couldn't get new parts so would not fix), and I'd prefer a Mac with a better survival rate. So I'm not after the card for the graphics ability per se, just the replaceability.

Also, is the Fusion drive a worthwhile option?

Pine Man 08:21 02 Oct 2017

It is possible to change the graphics card in a 21 iMac but it's not for the feint hearted as it is soldered to the motherboard. Professional replacement would be quite expensive.

Fusion drive is definitely worth the extra as it speeds up your iMac significantly.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?