Marine Harvest, which bills itself as the world's largest producer of farmed salmon, is deploying new process management and supply chain systems across the company, to improve product pricing and traceability.
Marine Harvest employs more than 10,000 staff across 23 countries. With production and farming facilities in Norway, Scotland, Ireland, Canada and Chile, Marine Harvest ships approximately 70 percent of its product to retailers, with the remaining 30 percent sent for further processing. These destinations span Asia, Europe and the US.
The process and supply chain applications will be deployed in a phased roll out, with the final site expected to go live in April 2014 with a goal of "driving growth by improving demand visibility", said Marine Harvest.
The systems, the company said, will also help it secure optimised pricing for its produce, while accelerating current traceability capabilities.
Marine Harvest will be using the Infor M3, Infor Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP) and Infor Supply Chain Planning systems for its global operations.
With facilities across three continents, Marine Harvest says it has begun a complete business process re-engineering project, designed to move away from a decentralised, regional structure to a "global business template".
Through integrating Infor M3 with Infor Supply Chain Planning, Marine Harvest hopes to improve visibility into future demand from 3-6 weeks to up to three years.
Combined with Infor Sales and Operations Planning (S&OP), said Marine, this improvement in visibility will not only help it better meet demand, but also help to protect its revenue by reducing over production and resulting subsequent price reductions to sell excess stock.