Boundless is the latest creation by development studio Wonderstruck, announced alongside a plethora of other new games during PlayStation’s conference at Paris Games Week earlier this week. At a glance, the game looks like a hybrid between Minecraft and LEGO with blocky, over-animated environments that can be scaled and explored using a grapple. Here, we discuss Boundless gameplay, along with its potential release date, pre-order availability and showcase the latest trailer. See also: Most anticipated games of 2015 & 2016
Boundless for PS4: What is Boundless?
Announced during PlayStation’s conference at Paris Games Week, Boundless is an open world (or should we say universe) sandbox game that’ll be available for both PlayStation 4 and PC gamers, where both platforms share a single universe. The worlds you discover and explore are procedurally generated with unique environments generated by the game using complex algorithms, which should create some rather unique situations, some where it may be hard to survive (one example given was a world where it rains acid!). But what happens if you are on a world where it rains acid and everything is out to get you? Just build a portal and teleport to the next world – it’s as simple as that.
As mentioned before, there are a myriad of worlds to discover in the Boundless universe, each with their own unique characteristics. You’ll come across dangerous worlds where the environment and animals will try to kill you, as well as worlds full of livestock which are perfect for farmers. The kind of experience you have when you play Boundless will depend on what you enjoy doing, as the game is open-ended and you have freedom to explore and do whatever you want. Some of the examples given include:
- Hunt for creatures in dangerous areas and sell the rare loot and materials you find to non-combative citizens.
- Offer your services as a master-builder to other citizens and do honest work for coin.
- Collect the weirdest creatures from across the universe and open a space zoo, then charge citizens coin to visit.
- Create amazing sandbox contraptions like people cannons and hyper-efficient crafting machines, and then sell copies of the blueprints to other players so they can create them too.
- Collect the most valuable and rarest resources from across the universe and open a shop that citizens will flock to.
- Open a Portal hub, connecting your world to distant worlds across the universe and allow citizens to travel, for a fee of course!
- Become a Boundless real estate agent, by searching for and claiming the coolest plots of land and then selling them to other players for coin.
- Craft the coolest wearables, the tint them to perfection and open a boutique fashion store.
But what do you do when you’ve found your perfect world where you want to settle down? The game includes Beacons that you can use to mark an area of land as your own, where you and you alone are free to change it as you see fit. You can also invite your friends to be neighbours and form a guild where you can share resources, buildings and land to become one of the most loved or feared guilds in the world.
It’s the freedom that started with sandbox games like Minecraft that modern gamers enjoy, as the game isn’t scripted and you aren’t forced to follow a linear path. Instead, you go out into the open world and create your own experiences often more entertaining than those that are scripted, simply because you know it was a random series of events.
See also: Best alternatives to Minecraft
Boundless for PS4 release date: When will Boundless be released?
Now we’ve got you all excited about the possibilities of Boundless, the next question on your mind is “When can I get my hands on it?” right? Unfortunately, there was no solid release date given, only a broad 2016 release date window was confirmed by vice president of Sony Worldwide Studios Europe Michael Denny after its announcement in Paris earlier this week.
Make sure you keep checking back, as we’ve got our ears to the ground and will be updating this article with any rumours regarding its release date as soon as we hear about them.
You'll also like: PS4 vs Xbox One comparison
Boundless for PS4 pre-order: Where and when can I pre-order Boundless?
Okay, so Boundless doesn’t quite have the specific release date that we were hoping for, but that doesn’t mean we can’t pre-order it, right? Unfortunately, it seems it’s too early to even pre-order the game, which makes us think that Boundless will have a late 2016 release date. As with release date rumours, we’re keeping an eye out for places to pre-order Boundless and we’ll be updating this article as soon as we find out new information.
See also: Best PS4 games of 2015
Boundless trailers & screenshots: