The search function built into Windows is more advanced than ever before, but there is still room for improvement. Copernic Desktop Search aims to make searching for information stored locally as similar as possible to performing an internet search. At its most basic, the program can be used to index your hard drive before searching for files, emails, message attachments, and more.
But there is much more to this handy search utility. If you're not entirely certain of the name or location of a file you are looking for, after performing your first search the results can be refined and optimised to home in on what you're looking for. A search assistant is on hand to make it easier to find files and results can be sorted and grouped as required.
A handy deskbar makes it possible to perform searches from your desktop no matter how many windows you have open and a file preview option enables you to check the contents of files without having to open them. Copernic Desktop Search's power and speed of use comes from the thorough drive indexing it uses to catalogue the contents of your hard drive. This process can be customised so it only run during idle periods so as not to impact on system performance, and can be scheduled to update at specific times.
When looking at search results you can customise how different types of file should be handled. For example you may want to open certain file types, but open the containing folder for other. In the case of emails, you can open the message, reply to it or forward it. This is a hugely versatile tool that makes it easy and fast to find the files you're looking for.
Version 6.0.2 (changelog):
- Improved image detection in Microsoft OneNote files.
- Added the "file type" refinement field for Microsoft OneNote files.
- Added a selection field in the Advanced Options for Microsoft Outlook indexation.
- Added support for the operators even when the application is installed in another language.
- Improved Lotus Notes detection.
- Optimized indexation for Microsoft Outlook items.
- Improved ADMX files in English and German.
- Improved parameters and dependencies for Microsoft Outlook indexation.
- Improved upgrade process from previous releases.
- Added support for Microsft Outlook 2016 in the native indexing method.
Fast, customisable and free - Copernic Desktop Search is an advanced file search tool which is well worth checking out.