The other day we were looking through our phone records and realised that just to own a business phone can cost over £400 a year, and that’s before we start to make international calls. Indeed, £400/year is regarded as small fry for BT and often doesn’t get your business on to their plans, which save you money when you start making international calls.
What’s the solution? One answer is Skype. This is VOIP technology that’s been around for a few years now and enables you to make very cheap international calls using your broadband. You don’t need ultra-fast broadband to make audio-only calls, either. Better still, some Skype calls can be better quality that some regular international calls, between certain countries.
Skype isn’t just limited to cheap audio calls. If you have faster broadband, you can use it to have a video conference between one or more people. Idea if you plan on bringing together multiple people from various territories, during a working day when phone costs are at their highest.
We use Skype to keep in contact with our international partners. We can use the technology to chat with these partners, through typing messages like you would if you were using MSN Messenger. Anyone with a Skype account can be brought in to a conference where everyone can contribute and swap files.
What's New in Version 8.2.1
The Skype you know and love has an all-new design, supercharged with a ton of new features and new ways to stay connected with the people you care about most.
What can I do with Skype?
• Messaging made awesome: More than just text. Send photos, videos, voice messages, emoticons, Mojis and more. You can also respond to any message from your contacts with reactions.
• Great for groups: Add your favorite people and start chatting. Use groups to plan together, play together, for staying in touch or just for hanging out.
• Call everyone - Skype, mobiles and landlines: Free* video and voice calls make it easier to stay connected with friends and family. You’ll also enjoy low calling rates to mobiles and landlines worldwide with Skype.
• Never miss a moment with quick capture: Quickly swipe to capture photos and videos. Make them your own by adding emoticons, stickers and annotations.
• Share Highlights: Keep others updated with Highlights from your day. React to any highlights with awesome emoticons or send a private message about that highlight. Your highlights only stay visible for 7 days to your followers.
*Skype to Skype calls are free. Operator data charges may apply. We recommend using an unlimited data plan or WiFi connection.
Upgrading to the new Skype may result in the deletion of content from older conversations.
To save photos and videos that were previously sent or received in an older version of Skype, save that content to your camera roll/photo gallery before upgrading to the new Skype.
What's New in Version 8.2.1
We're constantly working to make Skype better for you.
Here's what's new:
- General performance and stability improvements.
- Delete contacts – the ability to add or remove contacts from their profile.
- The new Skype now supports all iOS 9.0 (or later) iPhones.
Business application that enables you to keep in contact with international partners, make cheap calls and much more. Excellent tool, let down but the inconsistency in development between different operating systems.