DoNotSpy10 is a free tool which makes it easier to see, tweak and adjust many Windows 10 privacy and telemetry settings.
The program requires installation, unfortunately, and the free edition will by default install extra packages as well. Fortunately you can avoid these, just as long as you're paying attention, clear the relevant checkboxes, click "Skip", "Decline" or whatever else the installer requires.
The DoNotSpy10 interface is very straightforward. It displays 50+ settings in a single list, each with a checkbox. You can select or deselect any of these, and apply all your changes with a click.
If you're unsure what a setting means, clicking it displays a help message. That's a good idea in theory, but in practice many of these messages tell you little more than the original setting. Clicking "Disable App Notifications" tells you "this tweak disables all app notifications", for instance, while clicking "Disable Sensors" explains that "this tweak disables the Sensors features". Gee, thanks.
The program does at least try to highlight settings which probably shouldn't be changed, such as "Disable Automatic Windows Updates", by displaying them in red or orange. There aren't many of these, though, and although everything else is supposed to be displayed in green, they were blue on our test system.
What you can't do here is apply a group of settings all at once ("Default", "Turn the safe options off", "Turn everything on"), unlike some of the competition.
Once you've figured out what you want to do, clicking "Apply" enables optionally creating a restore point, before updating your system settings.
What's new in 3.0?
- General: Added Support for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
- General: Added categories in front of each setting (French localization)
- General: Improved license check (Pro version)
- General: Introduced a new update dialog showing the latest version and its changelog (automatically downloads and installs updates for the Pro version using RSA file verification)
- Bugfix: Tweak “Advertising: Disable App Suggestions in Windows Ink Workspace” could not be loaded from profile file
- Bugfix: Some missing French translations could cause errors
- Bugfix: Improved tweak detection. “Disable Tailored Experience using Diagnostic Data” was not properly detected after being set in OOBE
- Bugfix: A System Restore Point could not always be created using the menu item
- Bugfix: Fixed several smaller issues
- Tweak added: Apps: Disable Push To Install (Fall Creators Update)
- Tweak added: Defender: Enable Network Protection (Exploit Guard) (Fall Creators Update)
- Tweak added: Privacy: Disable Message Service Cloud Sync (Fall Creators Update)
- Tweak added: Privacy: Disable Network Traffic Pre User SignIn
- Tweak added: Search: Disable Cloud Search (Fall Creators Update)
- Tweak added: Updates: Disable Automatic Speech Model Updates (Fall Creators Update)
- Tweak updated: Search: Disable and Reset Cortana
PXc-coding gives easy access to lots of privacy settings, but there's little help on what these involve, and no easy way to apply a group of settings at once.