If you're a fan of 80s arcade games then it's easy to equip your PC with clones of Space Invaders, Pac-Man and other classics.
If you're a real fan then you might have set up MAME to run the original game ROMs.
NewRetroArcade goes further. Not only does it give you MAME emulated playable arcade games, but it actually presents them in a Virtual Reality arcade for Oculus VR. Walk around, look at the machines (and the ten-pin bowling alley, and the basketball machines), listen to music of the time via streamed internet radio, try out the playable Gameboy and emulated SNES console, and more.
You just have a regular PC? No problem, you can explore the system in a window on your desktop and at least get a feel for what it can do.
Please note, this is a tech demo and doesn't have a polished installer. Or any installer, really. Unzip the download and read "Install+Readme.txt" for guidance.
When you first run NewRetroArcade.exe you'll be asked if you want to download a game pack. Agree, or just download Game Pack 1 from here and unzip it into your main NewRetroArcade folder. Launch the program now and you should find your arcade has games like Asteroids, Street Fighter II, 1942, Frogger, Space Invaders, Out Run, Missile Command, Gauntlet, Defender and more.
Version 4.0 brings:
- Added ability to rebind controls. With binding for Arcades now able to be separate.
- Compiled on Unreal Engine 4.9!
- Support for Windows 10 and latest Oculus Runtime.(7.0)
- Updated to latest BASS sound library.
- Updated all emulators to latest LibRetro nightly builds.
- Fixed loading bug issues with some images.
- Fixed intense bloom on low quality.
- Fixed bloom purple floor light.
It's not the same without VR, but NewRetroArcade is a great idea and still a lot of fun to explore.